Diet plays an important role in blood sugar management and diabetes control. That is why diabetics must be cautious about their diet. Many people are still aware that carbohydrates are harmful to diabetic patients. Although carbohydrate-rich foods can raise blood sugar, it is still essential for the body because carbohydrates are the primary source of energy. Many people who want to cut down on their daily carbohydrate and They choose Ketogenic- Keto diet plan for their meals.
The “Ketogenic” diet (referred to as Keto) was created and researched by an American doctor since the 1920s, for people with epilepsy. In the years 2016 – 2017, this diet created a fever, many people have studied it into the diet.
1. What is a Keto diet?
The Keto or Ketogenic diet is a diet that is low in carbohydrate, moderate in protein, and high in fat. This is a diet that has many similarities with low-carb, bringing many health benefits based on the principle: When you cut down on carbs in the diet and replace with fat, your body will be in short supply sugar (glucose) for energy.
The amount of carbs in this diet is usually reduced to less than 50g / day, but there will be stricter menus or more breathing depending on the condition of each person. Fat will be used primarily to cut carbs and it is the main ingredient providing nearly 75% of the total calories will be loaded into the body.
Protein accounts for about 20% of the energy needed for a day of bodily activity. Meanwhile, the amount of carbs is usually maintained at the lowest level, about 5%. This cut will force your body to rely on fat as its primary source of energy for energy rather than glucose. The whole process is named ketosis by nutrition experts. Proponents of this diet claim that it is effective in achieving two goals of lowering blood sugar and weight loss.
Generally, Keto diet is understood as a radical low-carb diet with the goal of replacing the daily supply of calories from fat, instead of foods containing carbohydrates and a relatively protein intake. The limit of carbs per day under about 20 grams is only equivalent to one apple.
2. Advantages and disadvantages of the Keto diet
Keto diets have 3 outstanding benefits, helping with weight loss, controlling diabetes and assisting in the treatment of several brain dysfunction such as epilepsy, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. In terms of weight loss, many studies show that keto foods have advantages over the conventional low-fat diet. The dishes in the Keto menu will make the body feel full faster, helping people lose weight without having to carefully calculate or monitor the calories from food in each meal.
The keto diet also helps the body burn fat, reduce calories and increase feelings of fullness compared to other weight loss diets. Many other studies also show that people who follow the Keto diet also lose 3 times more weight than those who follow the diet recommended by the UK Diabetes Association.
In diabetes, it occurs when the body has metabolic disorders, high cholesterol and impaired insulin function. Meanwhile, the keto diet can help the body burn off excess fat, which is closely related to diabetes, prediabetes and metabolic syndrome. In particular, keto is more effective for type 2 diabetes – type of diabetes that can be greatly improved based on dietary and exercise changes.
Keto diets are becoming increasingly popular, especially for people wishing to lose weight. However, if you do not really understand keto, the application can have negative effects on your health. Because like many other diets, keto is only a short-term solution, not a long-term and sustainable diet. “The keto menu is high in saturated fat, directly linked to heart disease. Additionally, nutrient deficiencies and constipation can occur because foods in the Keto diet are low in fiber.
For people with liver problems, the condition can get worse because keto will cause inhibition and stress on the liver due to the constant destruction of fat and the release of too much ketone, which affects too little metabolism. Problems with renal excretion can also occur “- Dr Jonh said that.
A low-carbohydrate diet can affect heart health and make people with diabetes more susceptible to heart disease. In addition, it can also affect the functioning of nerve cells, leading to irritability and depression in diabetic patients.
Adoption of the keto diet will be appropriate and effective for certain subjects and should not be prolonged. Those are people who are overweight, have diabetes or prediabetes or those who want to improve their metabolism. Keto may not be suitable for professional athletes or bodybuilders who want to gain muscle, thin people, or fit people who want to maintain weight and shape.
Eating less carbohydrates will help reduce sugar, burn more fat and lose weight. This may be beneficial for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. However, in the long run, it can increase insulin resistance and lead to liver complications. If you have diabetes, you should consult your doctor or dietitian about whether or not you should follow the Ketogenic diet plan
3. What is best for people with diabetes to eat?
Obesity is one of the main risk factors for diabetes, and the keto diet has been shown to help with weight loss. According to a scientific article published in 2014, “A little bit of carbohydrate and a keto diet can help control hunger and possibly improve fat oxidative metabolism and thus reduce body weight. . ” Many people struggle with being overweight so a keto diet that can help promote weight loss can help reduce your chances of developing diabetes.
Is the keto diet good for type 2 diabetes?. The keto diet can be very helpful for type 2 diabetes because the body currently uses fat instead of carbohydrates as its primary fuel source. This diet lowers the body’s insulin requirements and helps keep blood sugar levels low but healthy. If you are a type 2 diabetes patient using insulin, then you may need less insulin due to the keto diet.
Here are some examples of foods that are top choices for the ketogen diet and for lowering blood sugar. You’ll definitely want to add the following to your next grocery list:
- Meat: Choose organic meats, such as grass-fed beef. Usually, unprocessed meat is low in carbs and suitable for a keto diet: Beef, lean pork, bacon, chicken…
- Fish and Seafood: Fatty fish contains important omega-3 fatty acids called eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Everyone needs a good amount of healthy fats to keep the body active and promote heart and brain health. Diets high in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats can improve blood sugar and lipid control in people with diabetes. All fish and seafood are suitable for keto diets such as salmon, tuna, mackerel… And more specifically, you should choose fatty fish like salmon.
- Eggs: Boiled eggs, fried eggs, omelets, … all egg dishes are considered great for keto diet.
- Natural fats: The calories in the keto diet come from fat, so choose healthy fats and oils like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil,…
- Nuts: Almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, macadamias…
- Vegetables: Choose low-carb vegetables, it belongs mostly to green vegetables, tomatoes, cucumbers and cauliflower, …
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
4. Sample Keto menu for a day
This sample menu is a great example of a day on a keto diet. You can rely on the foundational principles of this diet to design your daily menu:
– Breakfast: 2 fried eggs with olive oil or avocado oil, 1 slice salmon.
– Eat in the morning: Almond or cashew nuts.
– Lunch: Chicken breast, bell pepper, mixed vegetable oil.
– Mid-afternoon eating: cheese
– Dinner: Beef, vegetables, mushrooms.
With any diet, persistence is always important for beginners to get the best results possible. In addition, do not forget to combine exercise and reasonable rest with the nutritional factors to maintain a healthy body.
5. Keto diet – Foods you should avoid
Keto diet is the choice of fat to replace carbs. So what you need to avoid in keto diets are foods high in carbs, sugars and starches. For example, when it comes to keto diet, you should choose for yourself 5% of the energy comes from carbs, 15-25% comes from protein and 75% comes from fat.
So, the foods you need to remove the list according to your Keto diet are:
- Foods with sugar: such as soda water, fruit juices, smoothies, cakes, candies and ice cream, …
- Grains or starches: they often contain a lot of carbs such as wheat, rice, pasta and grains, …
- Fruit: most fruits will be “goodbye” from this keto, however there are a few exceptions such as berries: strawberries, blueberries, … and avocados.
- Beans of all kinds: such as lentils, red beans, green beans, peas, …
- Vegetables: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsley, ..
- Unhealthy fats: processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise.
- Alcohol: Due to the high sugar content of alcohol, it can affect your ketosis.
Eating less carbohydrates will help reduce sugar, burn more fat and lose weight. This may be beneficial for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. However, in the long time, it can increase insulin resistance and lead to liver complications. If you have high blood sugar and excess weight, the Ketogenic diet can help you manage the situation. However, you need to stop the diet after the specified time.