The Keto diet has recently emerged as a phenomenon. Many celebrities, diabetics as well as people who are losing weight follow this diet to regain a slim, toned physique safely and naturally. Keto is one of the scientific diets that many people apply to lose weight, especially diabetics who need to control blood sugar or women who need to keep their bodies in good shape and beauty.
So what is the Keto diet?. The standard menu to lose weight like?. You and I go to find out about this extremely hot weight loss regime.
1. What is the Keto method and how is it beneficial for diabetics?
The Keto (full name: Ketogenic) diet is a low-carb diet, minimizing carbs, increasing fat and keeping protein intake in average. According the diet, the amount of carbs will be reduced to 30-50g/ day, fat will be the main alternative providing 75% of the total calories intake in the body. Protein accounts for about 20% and the amount of carbs will be limited to as low as 5%. Which helps the body burn more stored energy. More than 20 studies show that the keto diet will help you lose weight and improve your health. Especially effective for patients with diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, alzheimer…
It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits. More over, when it goes on a keto diet, the body’s pancreas converts fat into ketones to fuel the brain. Thanks to that, you will lose excess fat, lose weight naturally.
2. The principles will help you get through the Keto diet with ease
According to Karen Ansel, a nutritionist and author of the book Healing Superfoods for Anti – Aging: Stay Younger, Live Longer, it is difficult for people to absorb all the necessary nutrients, especially fiber and potassium when applying this diet. Instead of making energy from carbs, the body will be replenished with saturated fat, which affects the heart badly and reduces the amount of carbohydrates needed for energy.
However, it is possible for everyone to both lose weight with the Keto diet while maintaining a healthy body. Here are the guidelines everyone should know when following this diet to stay healthy:
2.1. Paying attention to the amount of carbs you consume
Following a Keto weight loss diet will limit the amount of carbs your body absorbs. Every day, you should eat about 20 ~ 30 mg of carbs in your body. In fact, most people have a habit of consuming processed foods. Therefore, cutting down on these unhealthy foods will help you lose weight effectively and improve your health.
You should eat carbs from whole grains, brown rice, and oats. Also, cut back on the processed carbs found in cookies and fast foods. The US Department of Agriculture recommends that people only consume 28g of whole grains per day. Additionally, people can get their carbs through other healthy foods like vegetables, pasta, or rice.
2.2. Geting the right type of fat
Fat is not as harmful as people think. In fact, you will feel full faster and longer with a lot of these substances. It takes a person’s body longer to digest fat than other substances.
However, not all types of fat are beneficial for the body. Most health organizations in the world, including the American Heart Association, recommend that people consume only 13g of saturated fat per day. You should focus on getting plenty of monounsaturated fats found in plant-based foods like butter and olive oil. These fats also need to be supplemented with a Mediterranean diet.
2.3. Consuming non-starchy foods
According to the American Dietetic Association, most adults don’t consume the right amount of green vegetables. Therefore adopting a keto diet will force people to increase their intake of non-starchy foods like broccoli, asparagus, and amaranth. At the same time, supplementing with these vegetables will provide the necessary amount of fiber for the digestive system.
Most green vegetables are low in calories, people who regularly eat vegetables will have a lower BMI than people who didn’t regularly eat green vegetables. However, people should also not overdo green vegetables. Consuming a bowl of green vegetables at each meal is a wise choice for weight loss.
2.4. Maintaining continuity
Cutting down on most starches, sugars and fruits is a big challenge for those on the keto diet, especially in Asian countries, which view starchy foods like rice, sticky rice, noodles, … as main food. Therefore, to give up the habit of eating a lot of carbs, you will really need a great deal of determination. If you feel like your body can’t get with using the standard keto low-carb diet (which stays below 50g carbs/ day all the time), you can look into a low-carb diet which is more carbs amount.
2.5. Using fermented foods
Cutting back on plentiful sources of fiber like whole grains and fruits can affect your digestive system. Therefore, constipation is an unavoidable condition for people on the Keto diet. According to nutritionist Clare McKindley at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, California (USA), probiotics help strengthen good bacteria in the intestine and make stool easier to move out of the body. People can supplement this microorganism through fermented foods like pickles, sour foods, kimchi, and yogurt.
2.6. Cooking at home
The Keto diet doesn’t force you to only eat what you cook, but this will be the best way to help you control the amount of carbs because street food often contains a lot of bad fats, and you can also control the ingredients as well as accurately calculating its carb content.
Therefore, go to the kitchen to prepare your Keto meal in the most scientific and healthy way!.
3. The 7-day Keto diet helps to stabilize blood sugar and remove excess fat
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in June 2018, and was obese with a weight of 70kg. The doctor told me to change my diet right away to lose weight and control my blood sugar if I didn’t want complications with diabetes. I have successfully lost 7kg after more than 3 months thanks to “Eat Clean” diet and work out at home thanks to body exercises, cardio exercises and each muscle group because I schedule my body based on videos of fitness youtubers.
It is very important to understand my body, there is a time when I gain weight and have to lose weight many times because my organs are easy to absorb energy. But It also helps me better understand my body which wants to live a healthier life and more beautiful, I need a harsh diet.
Therefore, I challenged to the Keto (KETOGENIC DIET) diet. This form of low-carb, with extremely low carb consumption to stimulate the body to transition into the metabolic state of ketosis, the body will burn fat (instead of glucose) into energy for the brain, in amount of carbs intake <10%/ day. In fact, Keto has 4 types of food, but I only do 14 days with 5% lower carbs. Only after the first week of Keto, I lost 3kg from 67kg -> 64kg. Continuing to the 2nd week, my weight lost another 2kg, my body was much lighter because of less blood sugar. And now I weigh 58kg and my blood sugar level is 100mg/ dL.
Before following the Keto regime, please refer to all the knowledge and the foods that are needed and used in the Keto, because when you enter Ketosis, you just need to break the rules, you will not be effective and can cause trouble digestive disorders. Combined with the application of the Keto regime, you always work out at home regularly 6 days/ week, with each training session lasting from 70 to 90 minutes, the training schedule should be fully arranged including cardio – muscle – muscle relaxation.
My experience is that when starting the Keto diet, build for yourself a menu that best suits, is easy to find and easy to follow. Diligently making your own food during the day, practicing even for 30 minutes a day, never sit idle, tired because from a bad state you will affect weight loss, fat tightening process a lot.
Here is my 1-week Keto menu that you can refer to:
The 1st Day:
- Morning: Stir-fried needle mushrooms + sauteed bacon; Snack 1: Nama Chocolate homemade
- Lunch: Grilled salmon with garlic butter and cauliflower; Snack 2: Boiled quail eggs
- Evening: Pan-fried chicken drumstick salad.
The 2nd Day:
- Morning: Grilled sausage/ lean meat with cheese; Snack 1: Black coffee with diet sugar
- Lunch: Stir-fried beef with asparagus; Snack 2: Fresh milk shake with peanut butter
- Evening: Chicken with ginger.
The 3rd Day:
- Morning: Beefsteak – with avocado; Snack 1: Fresh guava
- Lunch: Chicken with zucchini – cheese; Snack 2: Seed milk
- Evening: Stir-fried lemongrass and chilli beef with green vegetables.
The 4th Day:
- Morning: Shrimp salad, mushroom, purple cabbage with peanut butter sauce; Snack 1: Dragon fruit
- Lunch: Pan-fried Tuna – with steamed tofu, stir-fried vegetables; Snack 2: Avocado smoothie – coconut milk
- Dinner: Burger keto (cheese slices, fried eggs, pan-fried ground pork).
The 5th Day:
- Morning: Scrambled eggs with jumbon, cheese and salad; Snack 1: 1 cup of almond milk
- Lunch: Beef with mushrooms; Snack 2: Nama Chocolate (or Guava)
- Evening: Stir-fried octopus with celery.
The 6th Day:
- Morning: Egg muffin (eggs, mushrooms, scallions, ground pork, cauliflower); Snack 1: yogurt without sugar.
- Lunch: Steamed shrimp + fried cauliflower with bell peppers; Snack 2: Greek yogurt + cashew nuts
- Evening: Bell peppers stuffed with ground beef – topped with cheese.
The 7th Day:
- Morning: Pan-fried ham – cheese – chicken balls; Snack 1: 1 guava
- Lunch: Stir-fried beef with nature – peach eggs; Snack 2: Avocado pickles
- Evening: Tuna with pepper.
You can choose other menu following:
The 1st Day:
- Breakfast: Bacon plus cheese + 1 glass of fresh milk.
- Lunch: Vegetable salad + fried egg with sausage.
- Dinner: Butter fried chicken + boiled spinach.
The 2nd Day:
- Breakfast: Sausage roll egg + some almonds.
- Lunch: Stir-fried beef with mushrooms and zucchini.
- Dinner: Pan-fried chicken breast + boiled cabbage.
The 3rd Day:
- Breakfast: Bacon + sauteed sausage + tomato, cucumber salad.
- Lunch: Fish ball + zucchini + boiled broccoli.
- Dinner: Salmon with garlic butter + boiled cabbage.
The 4th Day:
- Breakfast: shrimp salad + 1 glass of whole-cream fresh milk.
- Lunch: boiled beef corn + cheese sauce salad.
- Dinner: Stir-fried cowpea shrimp with olive oil.
The 5th Day:
- Breakfast: Stir-fried spinach + some bread slices.
- Lunch: vegetable salad + sautéed tuna.
- Dinner: beef tenderloin with black pepper sauce.
The 6th Day:
- Breakfast: Bacon sandwiches.
- Lunch: Chicken tenderloin salad + ½ Avocado.
- Dinner: Pan-fried tuna.
The 7th Day:
- Breakfast: Fried mushrooms + fried eggs.
- Lunch: Olive oil grilled chicken salad + boiled vegetables.
- Dinner: Beef with tomato + cheese.
You can build your own keto menu suitable, just make sure the amount of carbs, protein, fat is correct and enough according to the Keto diet.
Above is the standard keto menu for those who are looking for a simple, easy and effective way to lose weight at home. And do not forget, in order to effectively lose weight, you need to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day with exercise bike, gym machine and massage chair to relax spiritually enhancing effects of weight loss.