Diet affects about 50% of the effectiveness of diabetes treatment. Therefore, Diabetics need to develop a reasonable meal plan to prevent diabetes complications in the future.
With Diabetes, keeping blood sugar levels stable is very important. If it is higher or lower than normal, it will affect serious your health such as high blood pressure, stroke…. even causes the death. Besides using medication, diabetic diet, exercise…also affect so much to sugar in the blood. Building a reasonable diabetic diet need to do immediately to control sugar in blood and prevent serious complications in the future.
Because the foods you eat everyday which contains carbohydrates and sugars broken down into glucose. To be used by the body, glucose must get into our cells. Insulin triggers cells to remove glucose from blood. But with Diabetics, insulin has not been able to complete the task due to their body doesn’t use insulin well or have insulin resistance, can’t keep blood sugar at normal levels.
How much sugar in the blood need to be keep? Having any ways to do that and how should you do to stabilize blood sugar levels?.That is the question that everyone with diabetes has been asking themselves every day. And how is diabetic diet to stabilize sugar in blood, not higher and lower than normal is necessary.
1. Recommended target blood glucose level ranges
With a fasting plasma glucose test measures your blood glucose which can diagnose diabetes. They are less than 100 mg/dL after not eating (fasting) for at least 8 hours. And they’re less than 140 mg/dL 2 hours after eating is normal. A reading of more than 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) after two hours indicates diabetes. A reading between 140 and 199 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L and 11.0 mmol/L) indicates pre-diabetes.
The NICE recommended target blood glucose levels are stated below alongside the International Diabetes Federation’s target ranges for people with diabetes
|TARGET LEVELS||BEFORE MEALS (PRE PRANDIAL)||2 HOURS AFTER MEALS (POST PRANDIAL)|
|No diabetes or in health||4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L||Under 7.8 mmol/L|
|Adult with Type 1 diabetes||4 to 7 mmol/L||Under 9 mmol/L|
|Adult with Type 2 diabetes||4 to 7 mmol/L||Under 8.5 mmol/L|
|Children with Type 1 diabetes||4 to 8 mmol/L||Under 10 mmol/L|
For the majority of healthy individuals, normal blood sugar levels are as follows:
- Between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L (72 to 99 mg/dL) when fasting
- Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating
For people with diabetes, blood sugar level targets are as follows:
- Before meals : 4 to 7 mmol/L for people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- After meals : under 9 mmol/L for people with type 1 diabetes and under 8.5mmol/L for people with type 2 diabetes
Understanding blood glucose level ranges can be a key part of diabetes self-management.
2. How is Diabetic Diet to stabilize blood sugar level?. What foods you should eat?
There are many types of food, but which ones are good and which ones will make diabetes worse? If you choose the right type and eat the right amount, these foods will help keep blood sugar levels down or stay stable. Let’s find out what foods should be included in the diet for diabetics!.
A diet for people with diabetes will include carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats. The secret is to combine the right foods to keep blood sugar levels stabling, limit diabetic complications such as frequent bowel movements, or thirst due to hyperglycemia or tired, dizziness, trembling, heart racing, nausea, and sweating.
2.1. Basic nutrition principles for people with diabetes
Nutrition guidelines emphasize to control glycemic index, reduce risk of cardiovascular disease, reduce lipid, cholesterol and weight control with a combination of sugar, protein and fat separately of each patient.
To achieve the above mentioned goals, in eating and drinking patients need to adhere to the following principles:
» Provide enough water 40ml/kg weight/day.
» Eating in moderation, on time, not to be too hungry, not to be too full will be difficult to control blood sugar.
» Meals should divide at least 4 meals/ day, should eat snack in the evening to avoid hypoglycemia at night.
» Should not be too fasting but need to supplement the full range of nutrients: protein, fat, sugar powder, vitamins, mineral salts, fiber …
Each type of food contains a number of different nutrients, and none of them contains all the nutrients which necessary for human needs. Therefore, it is not possible to eat a single food, should be a combination of several foods is needed. Meals should be represented by 4 food groups.
2.2. People with diabetes should eat?
The basic principle of the diabetic diet in general and type 2 diabetes in particular is to minimize carbohydrates, this works to avoid hyperglycemia, limiting acids. saturated fat to avoid metabolic disorders. Diabetes menus should be developed to provide the body with a sufficient amount of stable sugar.
People with diabetes need to know how to supplement their food appropriately, what to eat and what not to eat. Accordingly, foods that people with diabetes should eat include:
- Powdered sugar group: Whole grains, beans, rice with bran shells, vegetables … are processed by steaming, boiling, baking, minimizing frying, stir-frying … Tubers like cassava are also provides quite a lot of starch, so if diabetics eat these, they need to reduce rice.
Foods of this group mainly provide energy (rich in carbohydrates), without or very little vitamins C, A, D and fat. Eat just enough glutinous rice, sticky rice, brown rice, sweet potatoes, … according to the body’s energy needs. Limit potatoes, vermicelli, bread, cakes, … because easy to increase blood sugar.
- Meat and fish group: People with diabetes should eat fish, lean meat, skinless poultry, fat-removed meat, legumes … processed simply like steaming, boiling, pan-fried to reduce the fat.
This group provides protein, phosphorus, iron and vitamins. In case of overweight, obesity should choose lean meat, do not eat meat with fat. Chicken needs skin to be removed. Increase your intake of plant proteins from legumes such as tofu, unsweetened soy milk, etc.
- Fat and sugar group: Foods with unsaturated fats are preferred in the diet of diabetics such as soybean oil, sesame, fish oil, fish fat, olive …to lower cholesterol. It Helps provide fat, give high energy, increase absorption of oil-soluble vitamins. Limit fat, butter, brains, animal organs, canned foods. Current dietary guidelines recommend that 25 to 35% of your daily caloric intake should come from fat, ideally from mostly unsaturated fats.
- Vegetable group: People with diabetes should eat more vegetables on their menu through ways to cook like raw, steamed, boiled, mixed vegetables but should not use many types of fat sauce.
Besides the familiar fruits and vegetables (morning glory, spinach, spinach, zucchini …), bitter melon, spirulina are also used by many diabetics. Spirulina contains Phenylalanine, which acts on the brain’s appetite center to reduce the hunger pangs of diabetes and keep blood sugar levels at normal levels.
- Fruit: People with diabetes need to eat more fresh fruits (apples, oranges, pears, peaches, grapes, kiwi, bananas, plums), they should not be further cooked by adding cream, milk, limiting the consumption of sweet ripe fruits such as durian, ripe persimmon, ripe mango …
In addition to a reasonable daily diet, patients should pay attention to exercise least 30 minus per day, least 5 times per week, take medicine as prescribed by the doctor or need to add herbal products to help stabilize and control blood sugar. Reducing the dangerous complications of diabetes is also very important.
2.2. Diabetics should not eat?
For the best process of diabetes treatment, diabetics need to limit the following foods:
》 Limiting rice, sticky rice, bread, vermicelli, tapioca, baked tubers.
》 Limiting foods containing saturated fat, high cholesterol increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, not good for health in general and diabetics in particular.
》 People with diabetes should not eat fatty pork, animal viscera, poultry skin, fresh cream, sweet candies, jams, syrups, carbonated drinks …
》 Minimize the dried fruits, fruit jams … because this type contains a very high amount of sugar, not good for the health of patients.
If you still confuse how to stabilize blood sugar level and way to against diabetes, let you refer Kachin Diabetes Solution book. Which will show you the root causes of diabetes. The truth metformin and the internal damage that does to your body that you did not know about. It has detailed guides detail about diabetic diet and will help you loss weight, lower your blood sugar and heal your body.
How foods in the Kachin system will boost your bodies insulin production naturally. How to stay motivated and stick with our fast simple and easy protocol. Inside the guide you will also learn about their culture, fitness lifestyle, food and traditions.